We need to act on climate change.
01. About the initiative
Bankers for Climate is a climate change movement for employees in the global financial industry. Together we are around 66,4 million people working in the financial industry. The purpose of this movement to drive change from within the industry and show the world that “bankers” can unite and collaborate for a good cause.
Climate change poses serious risks to the global economy and will have an impact across most sectors. Recent emissions of greenhouse gases are the highest ever, driven by economic and population growth, by energy use, lifestyle, land use and technology.
The financial industry plays an important role in fighting climate change since it interconnects with all sectors. Banks and other financial institutions manage enormous amounts of capital, which in its essence is the number one tool to drive change, by reallocating to more sustainable solutions. This is not tree-hugging. This is about business, customers and staying relevant in the future.
Please make sure to join the movement by
Reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you want to help out more actively.
Founder Bankers for Climate, a nonprofit organization
The following high level climate advocates and executives have endorsed the initiative Bankers for Climate.
Please note that the endorsers do not get any compensation and the organizations they represent is not involved in endorsing or sponsoring Bankers for Climate. They endorse this as individuals.
Former Head of UN Environment and Former Minister of Environment and International Development of Norway
CEO Chartered Banker Institute
Associate Professor London Business School
Board Member IIGCC and EITI
Head of UN Environment Programme Financial Initiative
Dr Steve Waygood
Chief Responsible Investment Officer Aviva Investors
Dr Ben Caldecott
Founding Director of the Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme, University of Oxford
03. Objective and Actions
Bankers for Climate objective is to 1) encourage increased focus and action from leaders of the financial industry, through ambitious target setting and increased transparency 2) establish increased awareness amongst employees in the financial industry and enhanced focus on innovative and sustainable financial solutions 3) increase awareness in society at large about the role and tools the financial industry possess in combatting climate change
- When reaching 30000 signatures, contact leaders of the financial industry to show the engagement on grassroot level and encourage them to act
- Initiate dialogue with bankers’ associations and other interest groups to increase level of knowledge and active engagement in the industry.
- Create attention on media platforms to raise awareness in society
This is just a beginning. Please reach out to founder Anders Langworth at email@example.com if you have suggestions for tangible actions or want to take a more active part in driving action.
04. Become a Banker for Climate
Sign up and become a force for change!
By signing up I:
- Contribute to and strengthen this global climate action movement
- Urge the leaders of the financial industry to step up and act
- Will discuss risks and solutions with my colleagues when opportunities arise
- Sign up as an individual working in the financial industry, not for my employer
This is a call for climate action, hence we want bankers to sign up with names, so that we can use this to show leaders of the financial industry and bodies like UNEP FI that we have a strong commitment from individuals. Without your name and personal submitting we can’t call it a movement from within.
We have no interest and will not use your name in any way, it will only be used as a headcount and the ONLY data that will be published is number of “sign ups” in total, per region and per employer (<10 on employer level = will not be published)
Your name will not be published, shared, sold, presented or discussed in any way with a 3rd party, which of course includes your employer.
With that said, please sign up using the form below so that we can make a change!
About the founder
Welcome to Bankers for Climate – I am very happy that you are taking time to stop by and urge you to take part in this movement by signing up!
I was attending the Global Climate Action Summit 2018 and inspired by the strong commitments from leaders of countries, cities and large companies I also wanted to do more. I work with sustainable finance on a daily basis, but suddenly that was not enough. I wanted to act as an individual and do it together with other individuals working in the global financial industry. The idea Bankers for Climate was born. This is something new. This is a call for action where we come together and make our voice heard. No matter what you do in your daily job, this is both the opportunity and the time to act!
Anders Langworth is the Founder of Bankers for Climate, a non-profit organization registered in Sweden. This initiative is started by him as a private person and is not connected to his employer. This is not a commercial venture of any kind.
Anders has been in the financial industry since 2006, working at Citibank, Genworth Financial and Nordea. His current role is Deputy Head of Group Sustainable Finance at Nordea. Linkedin profile
He is born and raised in Sweden and has always enjoyed being close to nature, either skiing in northern parts of Sweden or spending time in the Stockholm archipelago. During more recent years he has witnessed the many times extreme and dramatic effects of melting glaciers, when climbing mountains in the Alps and Caucasus.
GDPR at Bankers for Climate
- The organization Bankers for Climate in Sweden is the collector of the data, our Data Protection Officer is Anders Langworth, firstname.lastname@example.org
- The data collected is used for marketing research and analytics of web site usage. This data is processed through and by Google Analytics
- Information collected is retained for 24 months
- It is possible to at any point of time withdraw your consent for us to use data and contact information about and from you. This can be done by contacting our DPO
- In Sweden Datainspektionen is the authority for managing complaint about non compliance with GPDR